- Matinicus Rock lighthouse station
was first established in 1827. The present lighthouse was built in
1857 and automated in 1983. Although still an active U.S.
Coast Guard aid to navigation, Matinicus Rock lighthouse station
is one of eight lighthouse islands on the Maine coast that have
been transferred from the U.S. Coast Guard to the Maine
Coastal Islands National Wildlife Refuge division of the U.S.
Fish & Wildlife Service.
- Also, Matinicus Rock lighthouse
is well-known as the setting for Peter and Connie Roop's
book "Keep the Lights Burning Abby," a true tale of
Abbie Burgess Grant (1839-1892). As a young girl in January 1856,
Abbie, in the absence of her father who had gone to Matinicus
island for supplies, tended the light after one of the worst
storms of the 19th century battered the two lighthouse towers and
keeper's buildings for a month. The story of this heroic woman is
told at http://lighthouse.cc/matinicusrock/history.html
The U.S. Coast Guard web
page about Matinicus Rock Light and Abbie Burgess Grant is found here.